Monday, October 6, 2014

Right Place at the Right Time

We thought we'd share this fun finding opportunity that our Tally Elders had, specifically Elder Jackman. "This was probably one of the most fun days Ive ever had on my mission. I was planning on going to Buffalo Wild Wings with my companions to have a good meal together, but it ended up being an awesome missionary opportunity for the Church. We were walking in and one of the workers there started talking to us because she was going in for work as well and we found out shes a non member who grew up in the Church, but never got baptized and that her mom still goes to church. She told us she would be interested in getting a Book of Mormon from us before we left, so Im sure you can imagine how excited we were from that. Then we were looking at the menu and Elder Peterson asked if they had a hot wing eating challenge. The waitress told us they have something called the "Blazin Challenge" and I was kind of curious about it so I asked what the challenge is. She told us 12 wings in 6 minutes, and I was like "Thats alot of wings in very little time." And she looked at me and said "It is, but you get a free shirt and your picture gets put up on our wall of champions." Immediately Elder Moore and Peterson both looked at my nametag and I knew what they were thinking. If we could get a picture of us with our nametags on it would be really easy missionary work! We talked about it and they told me they wanted me to do it because Im good with hot food. I agreed and they brought them out with a microphone and a siren and made it a big deal haha. Normally I would have told them not to make it a big scene, but the Spirit told me that it would be a good thing for me to tell everyone that I was a missionary. While eating, a kid behind me stood on the table he was at and started cheering me on, saying "Go Elder! Go Elder!" and that was a tender mercy. His mom was probably embarrassed, but I appreciated his support haha. Those wings werent too bad spice- hot, but they were probably like 130+ degrees. My fingers still hurt from holding them and I cant taste anything because my taste buds are gone, but it was totally worth it haha. When it was done, alot of people came up to us after it was over and talked to us and we got to tell them about what we do and a little bit about the Book of Mormon. It hit me later on that the Lord prepared me for that moment. It wasnt a coincidence that I LOVE hot food, nor was it a coincidence that we showed up just in time to talk to the lady who wanted to come back to church, and it wasnt a coincidence that several other things happened so that the Lord could do His work through me. It was a really neat, humbling experience to think about how I could be a tool in the Lords hands, even when -and especially when- I was just doing something that I loved."

No comments:

Post a Comment